Friday, 1 February 2013

I Can't Think of a Witty Title


Just bare with me alright? I'm in my shorts sitting here waiting for my laundry to be done wondering what the heck I'm going to write in this soggy blog. One thing I didn't get (which won't be the last) was the example for why the order of different quantifiers matter. The whole enemy picking a specific region in a graph flew completely over my head. The math classes I've taken in university have not taught me anything about that kind of a definition of a limit, so I had no idea what was going on. I also have trouble considering quantifiers when translating to english, so I really understand how they differ in definition.

So I guess I don't have a good conceptual grasp on that sort of thing but whatever, I've got bigger things to worry about. Like oh dear Heap we're going to start actually doing proofs next week. So far it hasn't been too hard on me, I felt like I did well on the assignment (please have mercy T.A.'s), and I understand the content we've learned so far. I think that the proofs require a large leap in thinking processes if someone has never done them before. I feel that in order to do well one must have this certain spark of ingenuity and abstract thinking when it comes to math. I like math just as much as the other guy in computer science, but we have a strictly business relationship. I don't do math in my spare time or learn new things outside of what is required because I'm just not one of those people. So I'm a little worried that I wont be able to think understand what is required of me. From the steps for solving proofs given to us in the first week, I feel I'll just be stuck with step 1 with understanding the problem. Then step 2 is just figuring out a plan??? Yeah, easier said then done.

Scepticism aside, I felt good about the assignment #1 (mercy, I beeeggg you). That sense of ego was slightly deflated when looking at the answers, but I know that I got the gist of it. I did get confused with the translation from symbolic to english, and I probably will need some clarification but it was never like I didn't understand what was going on. If the  If the upcoming test is like the assignment and tutorial handouts, I will definitely be ready for it. This class is really interesting so far, but I shudder in anticipation of what is to come. May Heap have mercy on our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment